Since its opening in 1920, the Cleveland Institute of Music has been providing excellent teaching, developing individual potential, and instilling lifelong appreciation and support of the musical arts. The Preparatory and Continuing Studies Division is CIM's link to the community in Cleveland and its suburbs.
Preparatory students and their families value and appreciate the fact that they can take part in a musical institution of international standing. CIM provides an outlet for creativity and produces well-rounded individuals by insuring excellent instruction for both young students and adults. The needs of both the amateur and the aspiring musician are addressed through individual instruction.
Private instruction is offered at five Cleveland area locations; however, some instruments are not offered at every branch. Eurhythmics, Suzuki Studies, harp, harpsichord, percussion and all ensembles are offered only at CIM in University Circle.
- University Circle Main: 11021 East Boulevard, Cleveland 44106
- Shaker Branch East: First Unitarian Church, 21600 Shaker Boulevard
- Shaker Branch West: Plymouth Church of Shaker Heights, 2860 Coventry Road
- Orange Branch: 32000 Chagrin Boulevard
- Fairview Park: 22441 Lorain Road (rear of real estate offices)
We provide instruction for brass, classical guitar, harp, musicianship, piano, string, woodwind, and voice. For more on each instrument, click on the links below.
Restrictions & Regulations
To be prepared for Private Instruction, students must meet the following criteria:
- Stringed Instruments: 6 years or older
- Piano: 6 years or older - Must have accoustic piano / no electronic keyboards
- Woodwinds: 10 years or older
- Brass: 10 years or older
- Harp: 2 years of piano study - Must have access to harp (owned or rented)
- Classical Guitar: 6 years or older
- Voice: 15 years or older
Please click here for information on registration, orientation, tuition & fees, and financial assistance.
Preparatory and Continuing Education
Dean, Preparatory and Continuing Education
p. 216.791.5000 ext. 252
p. 216.791.5000 ext. 371
p. 216.791.5000 ext. 253
p. 216.791.5000 ext. 590
Office hours are from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. EST Monday through Friday. Building hours may differ; check concert listings for performance times.
13th ANNUAL GUITAR WEEKEND
May 25, 2013, 12:00 am
CIM's Mixon Hall and various studios
Presented by Guitars International in cooperation with CIM
SERGEI BABAYAN INTERNATIONAL PIANO ACADEMY
May 31, 2013, 6:00 pm
Lunch & Listen Recital
July 2, 2013, 12:30 pm
Presented by the Alumni Association