Careers At CIM
The Cleveland Institute of Music is an equal employment opportunity employer and educator and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, political affiliation or veteran status.
The following employment opportunities are currently available:
Research Services Librarian
Institution: Cleveland Institute of Music
The Cleveland Institute of Music is an independent music conservatory offering degrees through the doctoral level. CIM also provides high quality music instruction to the community through its Preparatory and Continuing Education Division. The Institute is located in the artistic heart of the city: a five-minute walk from Severance Hall (home of the Cleveland Orchestra) and the Cleveland Museum of Art, and near many of the city's major theater and music activities.
Robinson Music Library, which underwent a comprehensive renovation in 2007, is located next to the award-winning Mixon Concert Hall and the Gilliam Family Music Garden. The Library creates a nurturing environment for the study of music, supporting the educational objectives of the Cleveland Institute of Music and fostering students' musical growth and development. The Library holds excellent print and media collections in all areas of study at the Institute, focusing on Western classical music. The Library also has a growing collection of online resources, including streamed audio and video subscriptions. Robinson Music Library has a shared online catalog with Case Western Reserve University libraries and is connected to the University’s campus network. The library staff includes 5 professional librarians, 4 paraprofessionals, and student assistants. More information about the Library is available at http://www.cim.edu/library/
Job Summary: This is a full-time (35 hours per week) position. The Research Services Librarian assists the Senior Research Services Librarian in providing instruction in the use of the library and assistance with research, in person, online, and through the compilation of various guides and finding aids. The Research Services Librarian also has immediate responsibility for the archives and social media posts. Assists with instructional outreach and library tours. Supervises student staff in Research Services (Reference and the Media Center). Position includes some evening and weekend hours.
- Involved in all reference operations for the print and media collections; fields questions beyond the abilities of part-time and work study employees.
- Assists patrons in their research.
- Compiles bibliographies and guides.
- Contributes content to CIM library web pages.
- Fields reference inquiries and advises on issues of preservation and organization in the archival collection.
- Responsible for the library blog and postings on Facebook and other social media.
- Assists the Senior Research Services Librarian with training personnel and overseeing the use of the AVS distributed sound system and the digital workstation.
- Organizes and supervises work on the Cleveland Orchestra Program Notes Index by student employees.
- Part of the all-staff rotation for processing OhioLink (consortium) requests.
- Assists with the cataloging of in-house recordings.
- Provide back-up supervision at other service desks during staff absences.
- Assists with library display areas and other marketing efforts.
- ALA-accredited M.L.S. or M.L.I.S.
- Undergraduate degree in music
- 1-2 years of music library experience. Can include student library work experience.
- Ability to communicate effectively with students, faculty and staff.
- Ability to interpret highly complex technical data.
- Excellent computer skills
- Excellent time management skills.
- Strong writing skills.
- Strong service orientation.
- Enthusiasm for learning and applying new technologies in an academic environment
- Ability to work collegially and collaboratively
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office
- Excellent Internet and online database searching skills.
- Experience with INNOPAC online library system
- Experience working with media and media equipment, or courses in media librarianship.
- Prior knowledge of OCLC Connexion.
- Knowledge of international codes and standards for cataloging including RDA, LC subject headings, and use of authority files.
- The successful candidate will be working with both Macintosh and PC computers, and ideally should have prior experience with both.
- Experience working with statewide library consortiums.
Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Position available May 2015. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Submit a letter of application, resume, contact information for three references, and salary expectations online at www.cim.edu/positions.
Director of Human Resources
p. 216.791.5000 ext. 219
Please be sure to check the job listing you are interested in, as hiring contacts may vary by position.
Office hours are from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. EST Monday through Friday.
March 31, 2015, 7:30 pm
Paul Schenly, host
CIM@CMA | Music in the Galleries
April 1, 2015, 6:00 pm
Cleveland Museum of Art
Students from CIM and the CWRU early music program present a wide range of repertoire in this series of early evening performances. To make your evening even more musical, attend the 8pm CIM Orchestra Concert at Severance.
Presented in collaboration with the Cleveland Museum of Art and the Case Western Reserve University Music Department.
Cleveland Museum of Art | 11150 East Blvd, University Circle
Preparatory: Cleveland Youth Wind Symphony Concert
April 1, 2015, 7:00 pm
Perry High School, 4325 Manchester Ave., Perry, OH
Cleveland Youth Wind Symphony II – Concert Winds
Daniel Crain, conductor
Cleveland Youth Wind Symphony II – Symphonic Winds
Melissa Lichtler, conductor
Perry High School Symphonic Band
Bradley Hruska, conductor